[UCI-Linux] Free Insync (Google Drive) Linux client today

Harry Mangalam harry.mangalam at uci.edu
Wed May 18 13:23:01 PDT 2016

Don't know if this is one of those 'continuous' Free offers or a genuine
short-term offer, but it was promoted on SoftPedia:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/insync-the-most-powerful-google-drive-client-for-linux-is-free-for-two-days-504178.shtml[1]

and I did install it and it does appear to be a working Linux Google Drive
client (which Google refuses to release itself).

So for what it's worth, it does appear to work with both Google's Chrome
(of course) and the KDE Dolphin file manager.

It also has a commandline tool, but I have not compared it to rclone, which
is an Open Source tool for manipulating data on multiple cloud storage
platforms and with which it is possible to push/pull hundreds of MB/s in
parallel (given a 10Gb network interface).

If anyone finds out that this is more scam than free offer, please reply
widely.

hjm

---
Harry Mangalam - Research Computing, OIT, Rm 225 MSTB, UC Irvine
[m/c 2225] / 92697 Google Voice Multiplexer: (949) 478-4487
415 South Circle View Dr, Irvine, CA, 92697 [shipping]
XSEDE 'Campus Champion' - ask me about your research computing needs.
Map to MSTB[2] | Map to Data Center Gate[3]
---

--------
[1] http://news.softpedia.com/news/insync-the-most-powerful-google-drive-client-for-linux-is-free-for-two-days-504178.shtml
[2] http://maps.google.com/maps?q=33.641950,-117.844348&z=17