[UCI-Linux] Reminder: Intel roadmap prez, TODAY Tuesday May 5th, 1pm, MSTB 232

Harry Mangalam harry.mangalam at uci.edu
Tue May 5 12:45:25 PDT 2015

(apologies for any overlaps)

UCI will be hosting a group from Intel for a 2 hr technology briefing at 1pm
Tuesday afternoon, May 5th (TODAY) in the MSTB conference room (232).
They will discuss their new CPUs, including the integration of the Knights
Bridge Phi co-processor with the Xeon, their new CPU / system interconnect
(Omnipath), as well as a number of other technologies, some of which are
quite compelling.

They have loaned us their latest 36core/72thread Haswell platform for
eval, which is equipped with a 2TB PCIe SSD and a Phi coprocessor, for
those who want to see what this technology will do.  Now incorporated into
the HPC cluster and available via the pub72phi Q.

It has recently been upgraded to 192GB and we're seeing about 2X
speedup relative to the AMD Bulldozer series on bioinformatics codes.

If you're interested in this talk, or trying out the Haswell, please let me
know.

hjm

---
Harry Mangalam - Research Computing, OIT, Rm 225 MSTB, UC Irvine
[m/c 2225] / 92697 Google Voice Multiplexer: (949) 478-4487
415 South Circle View Dr, Irvine, CA, 92697 [shipping]
MSTB Lat/Long: (33.642025,-117.844414) (paste into Google Maps)
---
No, I will not follow you on Twitter.