[UCI-Linux] Google Chrome native for Linux

Harry Mangalam harry.mangalam at uci.edu
Tue Jun 9 09:03:35 PDT 2009

Google has released a Linux-native version of their Chrome browser.
I've been using for a couple of days and even tho it's labeled alpha,
it is /very/ nice.  No flash, no youtube, etc, but for basic browsing
it's seems about 5 times faster than Firefox and hasn't crashed once
yet - while FF has exploded about 3 times.

The speed and stability may be due to its ignoring the flash garbage
littering the web.

Generally well designed (tho with the more primitive looking GTK
toolkit vs Qt - personal quibble), layout engine works well,
rendering is very good.  They've definitely taken the 'less is more'
approach in design.  Some interface tweaks are sure to be coming -
larger/smaller buttons in some places, better hiliting,

they've been looking at all the browsers out there - I can see bits of
FF, Opera, and Konqy in the design.

June 9th version is here:
<http://build.chromium.org/buildbot/snapshots/chromium-rel-linux/17941/chrome-linux.zip>
--
Harry Mangalam - Research Computing, NACS, Rm 225 MSTB, UC Irvine
[ZOT 2225] / 92697  949 824-0084(o), 949 285-4487(c)