[UCI-Linux] fedora 8 + resolv.conf issues

Josh Drummond jdrummon at uci.edu
Thu Jan 3 11:33:45 PST 2008

Anyone else have problems with Fedora 8 overwriting their resolv.conf
and nuking DNS settings?  I've tried numerous things from fedora and
linux forums to no avail.  My ethernet device is configured with a
static IP where 'automatically obtain dns information from provider'
is not enabled.  When I first setup the box the DNS addresses would
get overwritten with incorrect values every time I rebooted or logged
out of the X11 session.  I even used 'chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf' so
root couldn't overwrite it, which does prevent it from being
overwritten however a /etc/resolv.conf.tmp is created (with incorrect
values) and used instead.  PEERDNS=no is also set in my

Anyone else have a similar issue or solution?

Thanks,
~Josh

Josh Drummond
Security Architect
Administrative Computing Services, University of California - Irvine
jdrummon at uci.edu
949.824.9574