[UCI-Linux] Research Computing Forum for sharing HOWTOs, favorite apps, utils, approaches

Harry Mangalam harry.mangalam at uci.edu
Fri Aug 8 09:18:20 PDT 2008

Hi All, (& apologies for any overlapping list memberships)

I've started populating a phpBB-based forum with postings that tend
toward solving simple research computing problems.  It is definitely
targeted to /novice/ research computing users and helping them get up
to speed, mostly by encouraging them to use simple utilities, easing
the problems and annoyances of using a Linux server from a Windows
machine.

http://forums.es.uci.edu/BioBB/viewforum.php?f=10

The topics so far include:
  - cols - a utility for columnizing data into readability
  - How to talk to a Linux server (if you must)
  - HOWTO Pythonize a Fortran program
  - How to find the software you need.
  - stats - a utility to generate fast descriptive stats
  - scut - a utility to slice and dice columnar data
  - An Example Perl script that uses SQLite.

There's also one for GIS users at:
http://forums.es.uci.edu/BioBB/viewforum.php?f=11
(just a starter collection of URLs currently)

It's also meant to encourage such users to ask the questions that
might be slowing them down as they move from Excel to R or from
MS Word to large-scale data reduction that they might have to do with
a gene expression data set, for example.

If you'd like to contribute, or have students ask questions on this
forum, please feel free to distribute the pointer.  Or if you already
have a better-developed form, I'd be happy to contribute this stuff
to it.

Also, if you'd like to start other forums for other topics, I'd be
happy to oblige.

=====

NB: the phpBB software we're using has an interface oddity.  If you
want to subscribe to a topic (emailed when someone replies), you have
to click the link at the bottom of the topic that says:

[v] Subscribe Topic (the 'v' is a checkmark)

it will then refresh to a page that tells you that you'll be emailed
if the topic gets any more posts.  When you go back to the original
topic page, the same bar will now show:

[x] Unsubscribe Topic.

This seems counterintuitive, but it might just be me.

--
Harry Mangalam - Research Computing, NACS, E2148, Engineering Gateway,
UC Irvine 92697  949 824-0084(o), 949 285-4487(c)