[UCI-Linux] Battery Backup for KUBUNTU

Harry Mangalam harry.mangalam at uci.edu
Tue May 8 17:11:13 PDT 2007

The apcd daemon (APC Smart UPS daemon) will shut down your system for
you if you use an apcd-approved APC device.  Sending email in the
midst of a power failure assumes all the intermediate devices are on
UPSs as well.

 http://www.apcupsd.org/

===
This daemon monitors an APC UPS either as master, with the serial
cable attached to it, or as a slave, with a network connection to the
master.

The daemon constantly gathers information from the UPS (battery load,
Temperature, workload, etc.) and logs them to a file. It shuts down
the system cleanly after a certain period of constant power failure or
if the battery load falls below a certain level.
===

In your particular case, I believe apcd is already running on
sand.ess, which is/was running off such a device. As long as the
switch between them is on a battery, sand could signal all the
computers in the room to shutdown (assuming the computers were on
dumb battery backup - the SMART series cost quite a bit more than
dumb backups).

hmm - just peeked - sand is no longer running apcd - it must not have
been re-installed after the disk failure.  You'll have to re-install
it.

hjm

--
Harry Mangalam - Research Computing, NACS, E2148, Engineering Gateway,
UC Irvine 92697  949 824 0084(o), 949 285 4487(c)
harry.mangalam at uci.edu