[UCI-Linux] check your mail, lose your identity

Stephen D. Franklin franklin at uci.edu
Wed May 2 16:29:02 PDT 2007

> On Wednesday 02 May 2007 13:51, Mike Iglesias wrote:
>
>> Or you can use the campus VPN service, not have to do all the ssh
>> stuff, add another profile to your mail client, etc.
>
> Mike's right, altho the reason I started using ssh was that the WebVPN
> kept dropping my wife's connection and after trying in vain to debug
> it, I came up with the ssh mechanism with which she's been pretty
> happy.   Isaac Straley mentioned that NACS was having problems with
> the old VPN device and the newer one is much more reliable.  If
> that's the case, then of course the VPN mechanism is easier.
>
> --
> Harry Mangalam - Research Computing, NACS, E2148, Engineering Gateway,
> UC Irvine 92697  949 824 0084(o), 949 285 4487(c)
> harry.mangalam at uci.edu

I've always had very good luck/experience with VPN client connection
to the campus VPN server.  Yes, there has been the once every so often
connection drop but only "every so often" and not often enough to
remember when it last happened.  It simplifies things so remarkably.

-- sdf
Stephen D. Franklin  --  franklin at uci.edu  --  949/824-5154
http://www.nacs.uci.edu/indiv/franklin/  Cell: 949/246-9835