[UCI-Linux] Ubuntu Edgy - don't

Harry Mangalam harry.mangalam at uci.edu
Sun Nov 12 11:26:09 PST 2006

It's a single data point, but my recent experience with Edgy is that
it seems to have a lot better compatibility built-in (supports sound,
suspend on my thinkpad out of the box, konqueror is a lot more
stable, entire install seems a little snappier, it correctly detected
and installed the ATI RAGE driver at the right res (1st time ever)),
but the development support is still fairly broken.  Lesstif, the qt
libs, lots of other libs have not been smoothly brought into the edgy
repositories.  Most of the libs have entries, but when you try to
install them, you get the dreaded:

  kdevelop: Depends: libcvsservice0 (>= 4:3.5.2-1) but it is not
installable
E: Broken packages

Also, the install overwrote my /home after I explicitly told it not
to.  In retrospect, I'd just have it ignore that partition until
post-install.  Previous installs did not do this.  Luckily I had just
refreshed a backup (Go Backuppc!),so I brought back everything except
a day's lost email.

This is the first Debian upgrade that failed an upgrade path by
changing sources.list (dapper -> edgy) and dist-upgrading.  There are
a fair number of threads about this common approach and failure (it's
explicitly not recommended for this upgrade). It seemed to work but
on reboot, it kept insisting that a partition was bad (same partition
passed fsck's by knoppix rescue CD and the Edgy install disk) and
refused to boot.

There have been a number of failures with this distro - here's one
thread.

http://element14.wordpress.com/2006/10/27/ubuntu-edgy-upgrades-a-disaster-for-many/

Be careful if you decide to go with this distro just now.
Hope your mileage is better.
--
Harry Mangalam - Research Computing at NACS, E2148, Engineering Gateway,
UC Irvine 92697  949 824 0084(o), 949 285 4487(c)
harry.mangalam at uci.edu