[UCI-Linux] Posting Fedora update notices to uci-linux?

Andreas Gal gal at uci.edu
Wed May 3 13:16:20 PDT 2006

Hi Harry,

an example is our workgroup server (nil.ics.uci.edu). Its running SUSE9
(not my choice), which is no longer maintained by the vendor. ICS support
is on my case regarding an unpatched vulnerability in apache. I can now
either take a week off from dissertation writing and update our server to
something more recent, or I can take a day off, recompile apache from
scratch, and postpone the real fix for another few weeks (preferably past
my graduation date ;) ). Fedora has even shorter product lifetimes than
SuSE.
My office machine, in contrast, is running RHEL3 since I joined UCI. Its
still supported by RedHat, I get my occasinal patches automatically at
night and every once in a while the machine reboots after a kernel
update. Thats about the level of effort I have to invest to keep it
running.
All we really care for is a stable platform that runs emacs/xterm/make/gcc
and requires no or very little user intervention. RedHat Enterprise Linux
seems to be a good choice for that, but I am sure there are other options.

Regards,
Andreas

--
Andreas Gal, PhD Candidate                  Tel: (949) 350-7417
Computer Science Department                 Fax: (213) 232-0599
Irvine, CA 92697-3430                        Email: gal at uci.edu