[UCI-Linux] Posting Fedora update notices to uci-linux?

Harry Mangalam hjm at tacgi.com
Wed May 3 12:49:38 PDT 2006

On Wednesday 03 May 2006 11:29, Andreas Gal wrote:

> Talking about Linux, do we finally have a redhat site license? Fedora is
> nice if you have the time to play around with bleeding edge distros, but I
> need my machines to "just work" (tm). We currently use ScientificLinux
> (RHEL4 recompile) for most of our machines.

What problems do you have that can be traced to the distro as opposed to an
application oops?

In my experience, there's never been a linux (or ANY) OS distro that 'just
works' (also depends on how you define 'works').  The Linux ones are getting
much better - the MEPIS/Debian distro is the best for multimedia app
integration that I've seen.  Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Debian is the best for scientific
computation (AMD64), tho I haven't tried FC on that platform - longtime
appreciation for Debian systems.  On a cluster tho, the RH-based ROCKS has
the advantage because of support/update/additions considerations.

I fought for years to get ANY linux distro/kernel combination to allow me to
sleep/hibernate my Thinkpad correctly - Kubuntu Breezy was the 1st to get it
right out of the box (tho the sound goes off post-sleep). I presume Dapper
will continue that trend.

Just my 2 phennigs.

--
Cheers, Harry
Harry J Mangalam - 949 856 2847(o) 949 285 4487(c) (email for fax)