[UCI-Linux] secure (?) smtp

Harry Mangalam hjm at tacgi.com
Fri Jan 27 09:48:56 PST 2006

My apologies - it does work, but I had to poke another hole in my firewall to
get it to do so.  You might consider posting that bit of info so that
forgetful people (like myself) with personal or departmental firewalls do the
same.

Here are my Kmail settings if you want to include them in the web page.

Settings -> Configure Kmail -> click on "Accounts" in Left pane
Click on "Sending" tab
Select your outgoing server to modify or create a new one.

in the Transport Window set the following:

/General Tab\
host: smtp.uci.edu
port: 587
precommand: [blank]
----------------------------------
[x] server requires authorization
Login:    xxxxxxxx
Password: xxxxxxxx
[x] Store SMTP password
----------------------------------
[ ] Send custom hostname to server

/Security Tab\
-----------------------------------
Encryption
( ) None
( ) SSL
(o) TLS
-----------------------------------
Authentication Method
( ) LOGIN
(o) PLAIN
( ) CRAM-MD5
( ) DIGEST-MD5
( ) NTLM
( ) GSSAPI

which is also what is returned on "Check what server supports"

Thanks
hjm

--
Cheers, Harry