[UCI-Linux] hardware vs software SATA RAID

Dan STROMBERG STROMBRG at uci.edu
Thu Mar 24 16:18:23 PST 2005

Hi Harry.

I've just written up a sort of top level RAID page in my notes:

http://dcs.nac.uci.edu/~strombrg/RAID-notes.html

It covers:

1) My experiences with software RAID on linux, including md,
   LVM2, NBD, ENBD, and more.
2) My experiences with software RAID on solaris
3) Distributed filesystems: GFS and Lustre
4) A comparison between "software RAID" and "hardware RAID"
5) A summary of my experience with the ESMF storage farm,
   with a "Maxtor SATA+3Ware RAID"-centric perspective

HTH!

PS: I'll be calling you in response to your other note momentarily...