[UCI-Linux] IMAP advice

Dan STROMBERG STROMBRG@uci.edu
Fri, 23 Jan 2004 10:16:58 -0800

--=-Mq3TX+CXNmnM244u5lot

On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 10:01, Charlie Zender wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> I want to start storing all my mail in a central location no matter
> where I read it from. I've heard that IMAP allows this.
> So I'm looking for advice on using IMAP or equivalent on Linux.
> I have about 20000 messages in about 100 MB of disk space to manage.
> Currently all my mail is in Mozilla Mail folders.=20
> All my connections are T1 wired or broadband wireless.
>=20
> 1. Is IMAP fast enough to deal with this volume and be responsive?
> 2. Is there a particular IMAP server that works best?
> 3. Does Mozilla work well as an IMAP client?
>=20
> Thanks,
> Charlie

I regularly use a 500+ Megabyte mail folder with ssl/imap, from
evolution, with the University of Washington IMAP server.  I get decided
pauses from time to time, but it's livable.  The pausing appears to
happen the most when I switch from a virtual folder back to my primary
folder.  The IMAP server is NOT high powered hardware.

It gets cranky if I have two copies of evolution running at the same
time (at two different locations), so I do killev or evolution
--force-shutdown a lot.

--=20
Dan Stromberg DCS/NACS/UCI <strombrg@dcs.nac.uci.edu>

--=-Mq3TX+CXNmnM244u5lot