[UCI-Linux] IMAP advice

Mike IGLESIAS IGLESIAS@uci.edu
Fri, 23 Jan 2004 10:08:33 -0800

> Hi,
>
> I want to start storing all my mail in a central location no matter
> where I read it from. I've heard that IMAP allows this.
> So I'm looking for advice on using IMAP or equivalent on Linux.
> I have about 20000 messages in about 100 MB of disk space to manage.
> Currently all my mail is in Mozilla Mail folders.
> All my connections are T1 wired or broadband wireless.
>
> 1. Is IMAP fast enough to deal with this volume and be responsive?

It should be, but that depends on how many messages are in each
folder.  If you have a lot of messages in a folder it may take longer
to retrieve messages from it.  If the system you're using as a server
is busy, that could affect it too.

> 2. Is there a particular IMAP server that works best?

We use the Univ of Washington server to server campus users.

> 3. Does Mozilla work well as an IMAP client?

I don't have any experience with this so I can't comment.

Mike Iglesias                          Email:       iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu
University of California, Irvine       phone:       949-824-6926
Network & Academic Computing Services  FAX:         949-824-2069