[UCI-Linux] Re: SuSE vs. Redhat / 2-CPU Recommendations

Garr Updegraff garru@uci.edu
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 15:15:08 -0700

Hi Charlie and Mike,

Charlie, mind if I drop by to check out your SuSE system some time? ;-)

How long does SuSE provide security patches for the software that's
installed on their older versions?  And how "GNU-standard" are the
installation directories for software (in case I have to update a package
myself because SuSE dropped support and I'm afraid to upgrade to a new
major O/S version because I don't want to risk messing up my Oracle
installation)?

At 02:55 PM 4/21/04 -0700, Mike Iglesias wrote:
>I believe it's 5 years of support [for RH Enterprise Linux], but you
>should check their web site to be sure.  We are going to move all our
>production systems to RHEL due to the support issues with RH 9.

Mike, I didn't realize from your earlier email that RHEL is so different
about support for old versions.  That's pretty significant (although I'm
still unhappy about their file locations ;-).

-- Garr