[UCI-Linux] SuSE vs. Redhat / 2-CPU Recommendations

Harry Mangalam hjm@tacgi.com
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 09:05:36 -0700

Charlie and others - what about Suse's support policies (and any diffs for
.edu's?)?  Do they charge for an access to an online patch / updates repository?
  Do they provide an online duplicate respository of the CDs that you've bought
(to save you from swapping CDs or losing 2GB of disk space)?  I take it that
they do not provide an ongoing Debian-like repository of the latest apps & code...?

What's their effective product cycle time - I have a sense that it's
intermediate between RH's (slow) and Mandrakes (fast).

I also have a sense from following their announcements that like RH, they are
trying to provide a stable platform for commercial apps and scientific
computing, unlike Debian (Sid anyway) which is more slanted to
foaming-at-the-mouth developers who need the latest and greatest libs & utils to
  allow features to be played with, etc.

Harry (wiping the foam off his mouth)