[UCI-Linux] new spam/virus hoses Evo/gtkHTML

Joachim Feise jfeise@ics.uci.edu
Sun, 29 Sep 2002 13:13:53 -0700

Hyunjin David Lim wrote:

> Although it means that I have to manually parse the HTML (and frontpage HTML
> is pretty ugly) I'm still glad that I use just pine and trn for my mail and
> news. :)
>
> But then, that's only for the OAC servers. I use mozilla at work... no easy
> access to a linux box.

Usually, these things happen with script in the HTML code.
You can configure Mozilla to not allow Java or JavaScript in mail and news.

With HTML email, you still have the issues of the so-called Web-bugs, 1x1
images that allow to track reading of the mail.
On *nix systems, filters such as SpamAssassin are really helpful.