[UCI-Calit2] Informatics Seminar: Sustainability in Software Engineering

Anna Lynn Spitzer aspitzer at calit2.uci.edu
Thu Jun 21 09:04:57 PDT 2012

Title:                  What does Sustainability Mean in and for Software Engineering?

Speaker:            Birgit Penzenstadler, Technische Universität München

Time:                 3 p.m.

Date:                  Friday, June 22, 2012

Location:           5011 Bren Hall, UC Irvine

Hosts:                Debra Richardson and Bill Tomlinson

Abstract:            Sustainability has become an important concern in many areas of our lives. It can be regarded in different dimensions: for example, environmental, social and economic. In informatics, we are also concerned with the question of how to develop systems sustainably. For that, we need a clear understanding where the different aspects of sustainability play a role during systems development. Penzenstadler investigates the question what we can do within software engineering, especially in requirements engineering, to support sustainable development. This includes:

·        developing an understanding and a definition of what sustainability is and what it means for software systems

·        getting an overview of the aspects of sustainability within software engineering and related areas

·        performing a review and assessment of related work

·        developing a list of open problems and challenges

·        developing methods to cope with the challenges, including a goal model for the above named sustainability aspects that allows stakeholders to detail their objectives, and a quality model to make these objectives tangible and assessable.

Bio:                    Birgit Penzenstadler works as a post-doctoral researcher in the Software & Systems Engineering (SSE) group at Technische Universität München (TUM). She studied at the University of Passau and the Universidad de Malaga in Spain. After her diploma thesis at the Fraunhofer institute ESK, she joined TUM where she did her dissertation on decomposition of system requirements into subsystem requirements under the guidance of Manfred Broy.  As part of the SSE research group at TUM, she currently leads the competence center for requirements engineering, gives courses on requirements engineering and sustainability, and works on different research projects in collaboration with BMW, Siemens, Daimler, Deutsche Lufthansa and others. Please refer to http://www4.in.tum.de/~penzenst for further details.

Penzenstadler will be in Irvine from June 22 through June 29, and would like to meet with others interested in sustainability, requirements engineering and related topics while she is here.  Please contact Debra Richardson, djr at uci.edu, if you are interested.