[UCI-Calit2] CUSA SUSTAINABILITY SEMINAR SERIES - Jan. 25

Anna Lynn Spitzer aspitzer at calit2.uci.edu
Fri Jan 13 09:02:39 PST 2012

Title:                   Global Climate Change on a Human Scale: Potential Savings and Psychological Approaches

Time:                   3-5 p.m.

Date:                   Wednesday, Jan. 25, 2012

Location:            Auditorium, Calit2 Building, UC Irvine

Abstract:            Global climate change is a human problem, both in terms of its causes and consequences.  A closer look at the human scale of climate change can involve examining the potential savings of various approaches, differences and commonalities in climate-change beliefs, and responses to messaging and information. This seminar features behavioral scientists discussing these issues and highlighting the importance of approaching climate change at the human scale. Talks include:

                            The Long-Term Energy Efficiency Potential:  What the Evidence Suggests

Skip Laitner, American Council for an Energy Efficient Economy

A report released this month by ACEEE outlines three scenarios under which the U.S. could either continue on its current path or cut energy consumption by the year 2050 almost 60 percent, add nearly two million net jobs and save energy consumers as much as $400 billion per year (the equivalent of $2600 per household) - if we shape a different behavioral response, choose the right policies, and make the critical investments.

Gatekeepers Changing Consumers´ Behavior in Energy Consumption

Tommi Laitio , Demos Helsinki, Finland

By looking at lifestyles and focusing on key decision-making moments in terms of consumers´ climate impact, we identified a series of "gatekeepers" who can have significant influence on individual energy use. In our three-year research project, Peloton, we designed and successfully tested several methods for leveraging these "gatekeepers" for large-scale energy reductions.

Climate Change and the Human Moral Judgment System

Ezra Markowitz, University of Oregon

Many individuals fail to recognize climate change as a moral imperative. In this talk, I will discuss some of the challenges that climate change presents to the human moral judgment system as well as present some data that explore the implications of these challenges for public engagement with the issue.

The Injustice of Climate Change: Psychological Impacts of Perceiving Harm

Brittany Bloodhart, Pennsylvania State University

An important consideration for those who study Global Climate Change is the harm incurred by people, animals, and the planet via climate change impacts and how people who have the potential to stem climate change perceive, interpret, and become concerned about harm toward these groups.  Exposure to harms others experience due to climate change may expand our scope of justice or trigger psychological distancing reactions which impact willingness to help others and engage in pro-environmental behavior.

Jointly sponsored by: UC Irvine's Environment Institute and CUSA (Center for Unconventional Security Affairs)