[UCI-Calit2] Human Complexity Speaker: May 14

Anna Lynn Spitzer aspitzer at calit2.uci.edu
Tue May 11 10:59:20 PDT 2010

Title:                                      Percolation in Isolated and
Interacting Networks

                                                (Complex Networks and
Dynamics)

Speaker:                              Raissa D'Souza, associate
professor of statistical physics, UC Davis, and external professor,
Santa Fe Institute

Time:                                     1:30-3:15 p.m.

Date:                                     Friday, May 14

Location:                              3030 Anteater I&R Bldg (AIRB) UCI

   285 Powell Library UCLA

                                               260 Galbraith Hall UCSD

                                               230/250 Olson Hall UC
DAVIS

Abstract:                              Networks with complex structures
and functions are pervasive in the modern world, spanning social,
biological and technological systems. Random graphs provide a framework
for modeling network phenomena, especially phase transitions, such as
the sudden emergence of large-scale connectivity. This talk will present
a variant of the classic Erdos-Renyi model of network formation (using
the power of two choices), showing that we can alter the location and
also the nature of the phase transition, making for an explosive onset
of connectivity. Next we develop random graph models of interacting
networks, motivated by the fact that individual networks are
increasingly interdependent (e.g., the Internet and the power grid,
globalization of financial markets and of social networks). D'Souza
shows that interactions between different types of networks can actually
lower the critical threshold, allowing large-scale  connectivity to be
achieved with fewer overall connections, with implications for the
spread of disease across geographic regions and the potential design of
simple  communications networks.

Streaming videos for all past talks (2005-2009) are at
http://intersci.ss.uci.edu/wiki/index.php/Current_events#HSC_Past_talks

Next and following speaker announcements and signup for listserve at
http://intersci.ss.uci.edu/wiki/index.php/Speaker

http://intersci.ss.uci.edu/wiki/index.php/DW_home

UC4-HumanComplexity at uci.edu