[UCI-Calit2] Fri., Jan 29 Presentation on User-generated GIS geospatial content

Shellie Nazarenus snaz at calit2.uci.edu
Wed Jan 27 09:46:37 PST 2010

HUMAN COMPLEXITY SPEAKER

Title - Research on Volunteered Geographic Information: User-generated
GIS geospatial content

Presenter - Michael F. Goodchild, Chair, Geography, UCSB, Director,
Center for Spatial Studies / Center for Spatially Integrated Social
Science

Date - Friday, January 29, 2009

Time - 1:30-3:20 pm

Location - 3030 Anteater I&R Bldg (AIRB), UCI

Abstract - In recent years a significant new source of geographic
information has become available as a result of the activities of large
numbers of neogeographers -- individuals who are largely without
training in geography, cartography, or GIS. I review a selection of
examples and discuss defining dimensions that emerge from an inventory
of prominent sites. VGI is a subset of user-generated Web content, and
raises similar research questions: who contributes and why, what do they
contribute about, what is the quality of the result, and what can be
done with this new information source? I discuss the results of research
on the geographically tagged content of Wikipedia, as well as other
projects that are shedding light on these questions. VGI has a special
role to play in providing timely updates, especially in time-critical
situations such as emergencies, and I review the experience of the past
two years of wildfires in Santa Barbara. VGI is potentially useful in
science, as a form of citizen science and a source of soft data. I
conclude with some findings regarding data quality, and the special
conditions that attach to geographic information.

About the presenter - Goodchild is a Robert T. Aangeenbrug GISSG
Distinguished Career Awardee

Streaming videos for all past talks (2005-2010) are at
http://intersci.ss.uci.edu/wiki/index.php/Current_events#HSC_Past_talks

Next and following speaker announcements and signup for listserve at
http://intersci.ss.uci.edu/wiki/index.php/Speaker

http://intersci.ss.uci.edu/wiki/index.php/DW_home