[UCI-Calit2] REMINDER - Seminar on Tuesday

Stuart Ross stuross at calit2.uci.edu
Mon Aug 10 14:40:27 PDT 2009

Calit2 presents the SURF-IT SEMINAR SERIES

Tuesday, August 11

Calit2 Building, Room 3008

A light lunch will be available at 11:30 AM; the seminars will begin at
12:00.

12:00 Noon

"Identity Resolution in Multimedia Databases"

            Dmitri Kalashnikov, Assistant Adjunct Professor, Computer
Science

            SURF-IT Fellow:   Isaac Mahgrefteh

The key challenge in designing visualization tools for a pervasive
system is the problem of information overload - limitations in user
perception and in display sizes prevent easy assimilation of massive
amounts of data. In our system, we have over 200 cameras deployed at two
buildings, so even a very simple query could require visualizing 400
audio/video streams.  We have attempted to address the problem using two
strategies - (a) ranking and prioritization of relevant sensor streams
and (b) summarization of the selected sensor streams. Given a query and
the set of output streams that satisfy the query, our 'SATViewer'
handles visualization of the query results based on the user's display
limitations. In order to rank or summarize multimedia content, different
features need to be extracted, using uncertain feature extraction
algorithms. To avoid 'garbage in, garbage out' we build a framework to
clean the extracted information.  In particular, we address the problem
of identity resolution -- we use uncertain features extracted such as
hair and skin color, clothing color and texture features as well as
temporal, spatial and contextual properties to accurately annotate
pictures with the identities of people present in them.

12:30 PM

"Personal Health Information Management and Behaviors"

            Yunan Chen, Assistant Professor, Informatics

            SURF-IT Fellow:   James Milewski

Recent advancement in information technology allows individuals to
manage their health information and to become more aware of their own
health issues. This talk will introduce the emerging themes in the field
of Personal Health Information Management (PHIM), describe the
opportunities for designing health information management tools and
discuss the summer SURF-IT project about information management
behaviors by diabetes patients.

--This seminar is free and open to the public-

"SURF-IT" is the Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship in IT.