[UCI-Calit2] Programming Sensor Networks

Anna Lynn Spitzer aspitzer at calit2.uci.edu
Thu Feb 21 08:35:15 PST 2008

Programming Sensor Networks: A Tale of Two Perspectives
A Networked Systems Seminar

With Ramesh Govindan, USC

2-3 p.m.
Thursday, Feb. 21
Calit2 Building, Room 3008

Experience with sensor network deployments suggests that these networks
are quite difficult to program reliably. There are many ways to address
this difficulty, but two approaches have received prominence. The first
is an approach from a networking perspective, which asserts that if we
come up with the right networking architecture, these systems can be
greatly simplified and made more programmable and manageable. The second
is a programming languages perspective, which asserts that if we design
a suitable high-level language, a lot of the complexity can be hidden in
the compiler and the run-time. Over the past two years, we have had
significant experience with both perspectives, and I will describe this
experience in my
talk.

Ramesh Govindan received his B. Tech. degree from the Indian Institute
of Technology at Madras, and his M.S. and Ph.D. degrees from the
University of California at Berkeley. He is a professor and chair of the
computer science department at the University of Southern California.
His research interests include Internet backbone routing and wireless
sensor networks.

For more information, contact Athina Markopoulou, athina at uci.edu