[UCI-Calit2] Save the Date-9/28/07 Entrepreneur's Forum on Consulting with Industry

Shellie Nazarenus snaz at calit2.uci.edu
Thu Sep 20 11:28:34 PDT 2007

What You Need to Know about Consulting for Industry

This workshop is for UCI faculty and other academic employees who are

interested in outside consulting with industry. UCI encourages

participation in outside consulting because it contributes to an

understanding of "real world" issues in the field, to the community

and to UCI's public service mission.  There are, however, possible

dangers and liabilities in consulting agreements if you are not

careful  If you hope to participate in such consulting, it is

important for you to know UC 's  policies that govern such activities

and the implications of certain clauses before you sign an agreement.

 The workshop will address questions such as these:

*       Under what conditions may I consult with outside entities?

*       What are consulting agreements and the implications of common

terms?

*       What are my intellectual property obligations to UC while

consulting?

*      How do I give the companies what they want and still stay

within the rules?

*       Do I have to report my consulting activities?

*       Will OTA help me with consulting agreements?

Several case studies will be presented and there will be ample time

for Q&A and addressing particular concerns from the audience.  Lunch

will be served.

Presenters:

David Schetter , Assistant Vice Chancellor, Research & Technology
Alliances

Kevin Kennan, Associate Director, Intellectual Property Administration,
Office of Technology Alliances