[UCI-Calit2] Upcoming ACE Lecture: The Tuning of the Media

Anna Lynn SPITZER ASPITZER at uci.edu
Wed May 18 14:59:03 PDT 2005

Title:                            The Tuning of the Media

Speaker:                    Edward F. Niecikowski

Time:                          5 p.m.

Date:                           Monday, May 23, 2005

Location:                    Calit2 Building, Room 3008

Abstract:                     This talk parallels R. Murray Schafer's
book "The Tuning of the World" with the soundscape of the virtual world.
By comparing

the two environments, an understanding of the function of modern sound
design and music becomes more clearly defined.

Examples of past projects and commercial releases will demonstrate the
impact of technology and how important sound

is to the success of new media.

Bio:                             Edward F. Niecikowski has written music
and designed sound for film, dance, theater, interactive media and the

Internet. Niecikowski's work has been shown at more than 30 film
festivals, as well as on A&E, TNT, Bravo,

the Independent Film Channel, the Sci-Fi Channel, KCET-TV and numerous
other venues. With his 3 siblings, he

started The Evil Polish Brothers LLC, and produced board games.
Currently, he teaches computer graphics

at Antelope Valley Community College and film/video post-production at
the California Institute of the Arts. He

holds an M.F.A. in integrated media and a B.F.A. in music technology
from the California Institute of the Arts,

and an associate of applied science in digital electronics technology
from Pima Community College. Before

coming to California, he was a rock-n-roll drummer for 16 years.
Recently he has returned to his roots, and is

reading and collecting heavy metal music and videos for a multi-media
presentation of the history of heavy metal.

As he puts it, "During my rediscovery of metal, I learned I was still a
barbarian, but one who was educated and cultured.

Go figure!"

Hosted by:                  ACE Graduate Program

Event is open to the public. Light refreshments will be served.