[UCI-CalIT2] The Talking Experiment, a Hybrid Media Lecture, 4 p.m. Thursday, 2/24

Anna Lynn SPITZER ASPITZER at uci.edu
Wed Feb 23 14:18:16 PST 2005

 "THE TALKING EXPERIMENT"

A Hybrid Media Lecture and Book-Signing Event

This lecture is part of the Hybrid Media Lecture Series which is
organized by the Art Computation Engineering (ACE) Graduate Program at
the University of California, Irvine in collaboration with the Media
Arts Layer of the California Institute for Telecommunications and
Information Technology, Calit2.

The series is sponsored by The Henry Samueli School of Engineering, the
Donald Bren School of Information and Computer Sciences, the Claire
Trevor School of the Arts, Calit2, and the Office of Research and
Graduate Studies.

GREGG BORDOWITZ
Associate Professor, Department of Film Video and New Media
School of the Art Institute of Chicago

Thursday, Feb. 24, 2005, 4 p.m.,

Humanities Instructional Building, Room 135, UC Irvine

For more information please call (949) 824-2109

ABSTRACT:
At first, AIDS activism --during the early and mid-eighties-- was a
defensive battle. We were trying to keep ourselves from being
mandatorily tested, even quarantined. In 1988 a decisive turn was made.
Like warriors in a martial-arts film, we turned the opponent's weight
against him. Faced with discrimination, we organized militant direct
action. The non-violent take over of Food and Drug Administration in
Maryland was a tour de force of nonviolent civil disobedience. After
that, AIDS activism went on the offensive. We demanded that people with
AIDS be involved at every level of decision-making concerning all
medical research and treatment for our disease. And we changed
everything. We changed the way research is conducted. We changed the way
patients are viewed. We changed the way drugs are developed, tested, and
sold. Our uncompromising demand to give people with AIDS power over
decisions affecting their lives is the lasting historical contribution
of AIDS activism.

AIDS activism can now be viewed historically, but it would be criminal
to imply that the crisis is over. Only a small fraction of people with
HIV around the world can get access to treatment and care. Without a
coordinated, well-financed response, the epidemic will kill unimaginable
numbers by the decade's end. The AIDS crisis is still beginning.

ABOUT THE SPEAKER:
Gregg Bordowitz is a person living with AIDS, a longtime AIDS activist
and the author of The AIDS Crisis is Ridiculous and Other Writings,
1986-2003 (MIT Press). He is a faculty member in the Department of Film
Video and New Media at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago.
http://www.artic.edu/webspaces/fnews/2002-april/aprilregulars5.html

Diane E. Stathakis
ACE Program Administrator
University of California Irvine