[ResNetAnnounce] Loss of Data on ResNet Helpdesk

Residential Network Announcements resnetannounce at uci.edu
Mon Sep 23 16:34:13 PDT 2013

Dear resident,

In the last several hours, the database that provides records for ResNet support tickets and other internal information suffered catastrophic data loss. As a result, any support tickets generated over the recent undergraduate move-in weekend and the preceding weeks have been lost, as well as contact information and the dates and times of scheduled appointments.

The loss of this data and the lack of a viable backup is inexcusable and unprecedented, and on behalf of the department, we profusely apologize for the circumstances. We are working closely with the staff responsible for managing our helpdesk data to ensure that such an incident does not occur in the future.

If you had an open trouble ticket with our helpdesk staff, either for networking or cable television, please call our offices and we will reopen your case to the best of our ability. Please note that our helpdesk staff will continue to address new walk-in, email, and phone support tickets during this period. As a result, wait times at our office and turnaround for email and phone correspondence will likely increase.

Sincerest apologies,

Eric Duplantis
Network Administrator
ResNet - Network Operations