[MGSA-L] On the Passing of Professor Edmund (Mike) Keeley - from Professor Tom Papademetriou, President of the MGSA

MGSA exec. director mgsa.org at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 14:07:26 PST 2022

*On the Passing of Professor Edmund (Mike) Keeley*

The Modern Greek Studies Association (MGSA) was saddened to hear of the
passing of one of its own founding members and an inspirational
leader, Professor Edmund (Mike) Keeley. Early tributes have justly
underscored Professor Keeley’s stature as a scholar, author, mentor, and
translator of modern Greek literature. Indeed, many English-speakers were
introduced to the riches of modern Greek poetry through his translations of
Cavafy, Seferis, Ritsos in the 1960s and 1970s. Professor Keeley was also a
founder and longtime cornerstone of the Program in Hellenic Studies at
Princeton University.

As the MGSA Executive Committee Chair (1968-70), and then as the
Association's first President (1971-73), Professor Keeley was at the heart
of early endeavors to establish an association made up of scholars
recruited from diverse fields across the United States and Canada. In those
early years, when programs in Modern Greek were few in number and often
only rudimentary in scope, Professor Keeley understood that the promotion
of our field could only be supported by a professional organization. He
worked hard with other founding members to oversee the election of a
governing board, the approval of a constitution, the establishment of an
endowment, and the organization of international biennial symposia.

In a later, second tenure as President (1980-82), Professor Keeley worked
hard to realize the creation of the premier academic journal at a
prestigious university press. Since 1983, the *Journal of Modern Greek
Studies*, published by the Johns Hopkins University Press, has very much
lived up to those highest expectations. In all the subsequent years,
Professor Keeley has always offered the Association his support and
guidance. In 2005, our Executive Board resolved that the MGSA Book Prize
should be named in honor of Edmund Keeley "in recognition of his
distinguished contributions, as pioneering translator and critic, to the
broad dissemination and scholarly study of modern Greek literature in the
English-speaking world and to the field of Modern Greek Studies in the
United States."

While we mourn his passing, we embrace the wonderful legacy he left behind.
Further arrangements to honor Professor Keeley's legacy will be announced
in due course.

Sincerely,

*Tom Papademetriou*

*MGSA President*