[MGSA-L] Literature on the Greek upper-bourgeoisie

George Tsogas george.tsogas at me.com
Thu Feb 10 08:21:22 PST 2022

Dear all,

I’m looking for literature on the Greek upper-bourgeoisie (μεγαλοαστική τάξη) from any disciplinary background and perspective. Specifically, I’m interested in publications that trace the (re)emergence of that class after WW2 and, furthermore, changes in its membership during the 1980s, as well as in recent years.

By "upper-bourgeoisie" I refer to the upper-echelons of wealth in the Greek society and diaspora (shipowners, merchants, financiers and industrialists).

I am searching for any work, including (auto)biographical notes, memoirs, unpublished dissertations, and the like (even journalistic exposes, if they originate from a reliable source). I’m seeking analyses of the socioeconomic, external, political, etc. factors that aided the development of that class as a whole (as well as of individual members/families), and also of factors that induced changes in its membership, influence, relations with the Greek state, society, and diaspora, etc.

Of particular interest would be any works on how that class sees itself and its role in the development of Greek capitalism post-WW2.

Thank you very much for your help and attention.

Sincerely,

George Tsogas, PhD
London, UK

You can access my papers at https://www.researchgate.net/profile/George_Tsogas - https://independent.academia.edu/GeorgeTsogas - and on the Social Science Research Network (SSRN) at: http://ssrn.com/author=680182