[MGSA-L] Call for contributions: special issue of the Journal of Greek Media and Culture: "Greece and the South"

Boletsi, M. M.Boletsi at hum.leidenuniv.nl
Fri Mar 26 13:55:55 PDT 2021

Dear all,

I would like to bring to your attention the call for contributions to a special issue of the Journal of Greek Media and Culture on "Greece and the South.”
You can find the call below and in the attachment.
The deadline for abstract submission is May 15.
Please help disseminate the call and consider contributing!

With best regards,
Maria

Prof. dr. Maria Boletsi

Endowed Professor of Modern Greek Studies (Marilena Laskaridis Chair) |  University of Amsterdam | Spuistraat 134, 1012 VB Amsterdam| Room 3.18 | tel. +31 (0)20 5252987 |

http://www.uva.nl/profiel/b/o/m.boletsi/m.boletsi.html

——

Leiden University Centre for the Arts in Society | Film and Literary Studies
Arsenaalstraat 1, Room 104B
T (+31) (0)71 527 2176
http://hum.leiden.edu/lucas/members-modern-contemporary/boletsim.html

Greece and the South: Grammars of Protest, Community, and Futurity

 A special issue of the Journal of Greek Media and Culture to be edited by Maria Boletsi and Dimitris Papanikolaou

 This special issue of the Journal of Greek Media and Culture aims to chart new or hitherto underexposed aspects in Greece’s relation to the European South and, more generally, to what has been called the Global South. Rather than thinking Greece’s position and (self-) determination through (Northern) Europe, we wish to explore the dynamics and terms of Greece’s belonging to the geopolitical, conceptual, and cultural spaces of the European and Global South by investigating recent and emerging grammars of protest, community, and futurity in these spaces, while also paying heed to aspects of new exoticism, nativism, and populism. To that end, we seek contributions that approach cultural and artistic production, as well as social and political movements, in Greece and the South from comparative, transnational, and interdisciplinary perspectives.

Southern European countries have been involved in transversal crisis-scapes for more than a decade. These have bred far-right populism, nativism, and securitarian regimes, and intensified biopolitical control. But they have also given rise to radical protest cultures and imaginaries that opened up ways to re-imagine communities and envision other futures.  At the same time, the rift between the European North and South, which widened during the European debt crisis, was recently reinvigorated owing to the heated debates in the EU regarding its financial support to countries of the South severely hit by the Covid-19 pandemic. Such debates throw the polarization of the European North and South into sharp relief, and exacerbate the negative stereotyping of Southern European countries, inflected through neo- or crypto-colonial discourses.

In light of the above, we propose to involve Greece and the European South in conversations about the so-called Global South, which take us beyond European paradigms.

We invite contributions that engage with one or more of the following questions:

  *    Are we, today, after the negative stereotyping of Southern Europe, or still within its sway?
  *    What would it mean for scholars working (partly) on Greek culture and history to be inspired by theories and epistemologies of the South – the European and/or the Global South – as potential hubs of radical and new epistemologies?
  *   How can Greece be involved in discussions about the South, from its complex historical position, and without falling into the trap of (self-) exoticism?
  *   After the rise of anti-austerity movements that shook Southern European countries in 2011, the Indignados in Spain, the Gezi park protests of 2013, the December 2008 events in Greece, the revolutions of the ‘Arab Spring,’ and the more recent wave of protests in Latin America, what is the resonance of these movements and events today and the fate of that insurgent energy? How can we think them in relation to each other and how much are some now seen through the logics of a ‘failed revolt’?
  *    What are the afterlives or new directions of innovative aesthetic movements that emerged through and against recent crisis-scapes in the South?
  *   Which epistemological paradigms, protest cultures, artistic or literary trends, cinematic cultures, forms of activism, and grammars of critique are currently emerging from the South? Ηow do they respond to the ‘mainstreaming’ of nativism, post-truth, and new conservatism also rising in these spaces?
  *   Which new cultures of belonging, community, solidarity, and mourning are surfacing through the transformed public and cyber-spaces shaped by the ongoing Covid-19 crisis in Greece and the South?

We invite essays that converse with the growing body of theories of the South and mobilize postcolonial and decolonial perspectives, questioning the idea of a single modernity. Our aim is to publish pieces that engage with Greece and/or other countries or spaces of Southern Europe and the Global South, through debates on (post-)crisis, new governmentalities, biopolitics and necropolitics, (crypto)colonialism, nativism and neoliberal management.

Please send a 300 word abstract and a short biography to Dimitris Papanikolaou (dimitris.papanikolaou at mod-langs.ox.ac.uk<mailto:dimitris.papanikolaou at mod-langs.ox.ac.uk>) & Maria Boletsi (m.boletsi at uva.nl<mailto:m.boletsi at uva.nl>) by 15 May 2021. Notifications of acceptance will be sent by 30 May 2021 and full essays are expected by 30 September 2021. The final articles should range between 6000 and 9000 words, follow the JGMC’s format guidelines, and contain an abstract and keywords.