[MGSA-L] Invitation: “Dream Nation: 200 Years On” & website launch, Monday 22 March 2021, 17.00 (UK time)

Kristina Gedgaudaite k.gedgaudaite at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 01:58:28 PDT 2021

Dear all,

Next week, on Monday, *March 22*, our Cultural Analysis Network “Rethinking
Modern Greek Studies in the 21st century
<https://www.torch.ox.ac.uk/rethinking-modern-greek-studies-in-the-21st-century-a-cultural-analysis-network#/>
” is organizing a webinar titled “*Dream Nation: 200 Years On*”, followed by
 the *launch of our new independent website *under the title '*Greek
Studies Now*,' which we were able to realize thanks to the MGSA innovative
initiatives fund.

In the webinar we will have an open discussion with Stathis Gourgouris on
the contemporary relevance of his 1996 monograph *Dream Nation:
Enlightenment, Colonization and the Institut**ion of Modern Greece*. We
want to reflect on both the national/post-national legacies of Greece, but
also on the changes in Modern Greek Studies since the first publication of
his seminal book. Greece has been a prime example of a modern
nation-building process, involved in the dynamics of enlightenment,
ethnicity, (crypto)colonialism, orientalism, capital extractionism and the
North-South dialectic and Modern Greek studies, as a field, has often been
framed as a response to such questions.

For a more detailed description of the event and the registration link, see
here:
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/dream-nation-200-years-on-tickets-145915859263

The event is organized as part of the online roundtable series “Local
Cases, Global Debates”.

Attached you can also find the press release for the launch of our new
website.

We hope to see many of you there!

With best regards on behalf of the cultural analysis network "Rethinking
Modern Greek Studies in the 21st Century"