[MGSA-L] UIC Bicentennial.

Young Kim youngrichardkim at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 19:17:53 PST 2021

Dear Colleagues,

Greetings from Chicago; I hope that you are all safe and healthy amid the
pandemic. I teach at the University of Illinois Chicago, and just prior to
this I served as the Director of Educational Programs for the Onassis
Foundation USA. I am (fairly) new to the MGSA community, but I am honored
to be a part of this vital organization. I share with you an announcement
for a series of online conversations I will be conducting in celebration of
the bicentennial of the Greek Revolution, focusing on the theme of
“Philhellenism through the Ages.” I have also pasted further information
below, including additional details on the first event. I know that there
are many other wonderful celebratory events and programs planned this year
by various organizations, but I hope you’ll join us for one or more of
these conversations.

Warmest Regards,

Young Kim

*In celebration of the bicentennial of the Greek Revolution, the Classics
and Mediterranean Studies Department at the University of Illinois Chicago,
under the auspices of the Embassy of Greece in the USA and in collaboration
with HALC, the Metropolis of Chicago, and the Consulate General of Greece
in Chicago, is pleased to present “Philhellenism through the Ages,” a
two-part series that will explore the impress and influence of Hellenic
culture from antiquity to the present. In part one (February-May), four
online conversations with scholars will lay an intellectual and historical
foundation for the very idea of Philhellenism and its varied expressions in
the past, to think ultimately about how it played a key role in the
formation of the modern Greek state.*

*In the first conversation, “Loving Greece in Rome: Hellenic Culture in an
Age of Empire,” Young Richard Kim will discuss with Mary Boatwright,
Professor Emerita of Classical Studies, Duke University, the impact of
Greek culture on the Romans, especially on the emperors Nero and Hadrian,
and how Philhellenism in the Roman Empire elicited complex and at times
contradictory responses among the Romans. The same might be said of
attitudes toward the Greeks in the time of the Revolution. *

*This Facebook Live conversation will include a time of Q&A from the
audience. Please join us on Sunday, February 7, 2:00 PM (Central). For more
information, visit www.facebook.com/hellenicleaders
<http://www.facebook.com/hellenicleaders>*