[MGSA-L] Our Intense Biopolitical Present: COVID and Before

Kristina Gedgaudaite k.gedgaudaite at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 00:52:01 PST 2021

Dear all,

The first webinar of the cultural analysis network Rethinking Modern Greek
Studies in the 21st Century *'Our Intense Biopolitical Present: COVID and
Before'* will take place on *Thursday, 21 January, 5pm UK time*.

You can register for the event here:
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/our-intense-biopolitical-present-covid-and-before-tickets-136402472467

*Our Intense Biopolitical Present: COVID and Before *

*A roundtable in the series: Modern Greek Studies and Beyond: Local Cases,
Global Debates*

*Date: 21 January 2021, 17:00-19:00 pm (UK time)  *

In this roundtable we aim to revisit the question of biopolitics - the
politics over life - and to assess its contemporary relevance. In 2020
biopolitics has re-emerged as a popular concept, as well as perhaps the
best way to understand the COVID-19 global emergency. At the same time,
biopolitics was already part of the public debate; in Greece, particularly,
it was central to discussions in the last decade of constant crisis and
austerity politics.

Through a panel of scholars from different disciplines in the Humanities
and Social Sciences, we would like to invite insight on our contemporary
biopolitical moment that will also be informed by a larger context of
analysis: neoliberal population management and new social agendas;
neonationalism
and neofascism; moral panics and new borders; racism, homo/transphobia and
gender violence; bio-industry and biocitizenship; archaeopolitics and the
new past.

*Speakers: *

*Dimitris Plantzos *(Νational and Kapodistrian University of Athens): A
national bicentenary, a global pandemic, and the new past

*Nelli Kambouri *(University of Hertfordshire and Panteion University of
Social and Political Sciences): Biopolitics and care in the period of
economic and health crises

*Paul Apostolidis* (London School of Economics & Political Science):
Biopolitics, dangerous work and the dynamics of hegemony

*Dimitra Kotouza* (University of Lincoln), Revisiting Biopolicing under
COVID. Managing health from epidemic to pandemic.

*Olga Demetriou** & Elisabeth Kirtsoglou *(Durham University): Facile
biopolitics and (counter) resistance

Chaired by *Dimitris Papanikolaou *(Oxford University)

*About the roundtable series:*

Under the general title “Modern Greek Studies and Beyond: Local Cases, Global
Debates”, the roundtable discussions will bring local case studies from
Greek culture, society, history, and politics to bear on larger and timely
theoretical, political, and cultural debates: debates on ecocriticism,
biopolitics and race, the relevance of contemporary (Greek) art, languages
of futurity from the European and Global South, and COVID-19 as a
transversal crisis.

By inviting speakers situated (mainly or partly) in Modern Greek studies
alongside speakers working in other fields, we will explore how cases from
modern and contemporary Greek culture, politics, and history can be
relevant for scholars whose work is not (only) situated in Modern Greek
Studies, and ask how Modern Greek studies could be repositioned through an
engagement with such global debates.

We aim at inclusivity and diversity in speakers and audiences and at
stimulating interdisciplinary dialogues that will take scholars outside the
comfort zones of their disciplines. In each roundtable, invited speakers
from different disciplines and career stages will converse with each other,
in order to promote exchanges among scholars who might normally not sit
around the same academic table.

Participation in the roundtables is free and open to all.

*This event will be held online as a Zoom webinar. The event is free but
registration is required.*

*Please register here
<https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/our-intense-biopolitical-present-covid-and-before-tickets-136402472467>.*