[MGSA-L] FW: [External] CFP: Orthodox Christianity, Alterity, and Worldmaking (SAR 2021)

Karakatsanis, Neovi M nkarakat at iusb.edu
Fri Jan 15 17:40:41 PST 2021

Colleagues,

Best wishes for a healthy and prosperous New Year.
I believe this CfP may be of interest to some of you.

Warm regards,
Neovi Karakatsanis

From: Sarah Riccardi-Swartz <riccardi at nyu.edu>
Date: Friday, January 15, 2021 at 4:09 PM
Subject: [External] CFP: Orthodox Christianity, Alterity, and Worldmaking (SAR 2021)

Greetings,

Please widely share the following CFP for the Society for the Anthropology of Religion<http://sar.americananthro.org/activities/meeting/> 2021 Biennial Conference, "From Ethics to Politics." We look forward to receiving your submissions for this timely panel.

Best regards,
Sarah Riccardi-Swartz (ASU) and Candace Lukasik (WUSTL)

Orthodox Christianity, Alterity, and Worldmaking

Until the last decade, Orthodox Christianity has been viewed through the lens of alterity in the social sciences. Thus, we are still reckoning with the lack of scholarship on how Orthodox life worlds are created, (inter)connected, sustained, and remapped, between local and global contexts. Orthodox Christian lifeworlds, from homelands to diasporas, are enmeshed in broader discussions on the role of religion in 21st century public life. This panel seeks to examine the material, social, and political nature of the faith as it relates to transnational alliances, geopolitical predicaments, power dynamics (whether they be national, institutional, and/or imperial), as well as everyday lived experiences that commingle with these larger scales. We seek proposals from those interested in exploring the intersections of Orthodox Christianity and race; tradition, gender and sexuality, and morality; global conservatism, fundamentalism, and right-wing politics; the social and political life of Orthodox theology; empire-building, colonial legacies, and imperialism; among others. We are particularly interested in papers that disrupt the traditional narratives of Orthodox practices, believers, and institutions.

Please submit the following information via email to both Dr. Candace Lukasik (cblukasik at wustl.edu) and Dr. Sarah Riccardi-Swartz (sriccar1 at asu.edu):

Name, Affiliation, Paper title, Paper abstract (250 words), Paper proposal (1000 words),

Accessibility requests

Due: February 1, 2021

Dr. Sarah Riccardi-Swartz
2020-2021 Recovering Truth<https://csrc.asu.edu/recoveringtruth/postdoc> Postdoctoral Fellow
Center for the Study of Religion and Conflict
Arizona State University
www.riccardiswartz.com<http://www.riccardiswartz.com>
417-576-3128

[cid:image001.png at 01D6EB7E.4AB4AE10]