[MGSA-L] Cultural Politics, Harvard "From Athens to Paris: Foucauldian Ethics and the Cross-Cultural Politics of Asceticism"

Roilos, Panagiotis roilos at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Nov 11 07:26:31 PST 2020

Dear all,
I would like to invite you to the following event.
​Sincerely,
Panagiotis Roilos

Panagiotis Roilos
George Seferis Professor of Modern Greek Studies and Professor of Comparative Literature
Faculty Associate, The Weatherhead Center for International Affairs
Faculty Associate, Minda de Gunzburg Center for European Studies
Harvard University
Member of the Governing Board, European Cultural Center of Delphi
https://muse.jhu.edu/article/738265/pdf
Weatherhead Center for International Affairs, Harvard
Cultural Politics: Interdisciplinary Perspectives (via Zoom)
Date:
Monday, November 23, 2020, 1:00pm to 2:30pm
Location:
Online Only
"From Athens to Paris: Foucauldian Ethics and the Cross-Cultural Politics of Asceticism"
Speaker:

William Tilleczek, PhD Candidate, Department of Government, Harvard University.

Attend this event via Zoom<https://harvard.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJckdeuopjgiEtzOBljcDpZp-mYgEwe8RHv-> (advance registration required)

Remote Access Information:

To join by computer:

https://harvard.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJckdeuopjgiEtzOBljcDpZp-mYgEwe8RHv-<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__harvard.zoom.us_meeting_register_tJckdeuopjgiEtzOBljcDpZp-2DmYgEwe8RHv-2D&d=DwMFaQ&c=WO-RGvefibhHBZq3fL85hQ&r=CxQm7h9E8fOLUJI3hkZ7Ogu2zy1d5w1iYic0b-4Plwc&m=XuAjg_ypjSZaQRow-L-WMvUygygcBNZl_r1s3TxTh-k&s=ikHzCKvfDExJh4Vh8kzMNOAPr40_H9kqqx69Q7BsLy0&e=>

Please note: This event requires registration in advance in order to receive the meeting link and password.

Abstract:

In this talk, I will discuss Foucault’s ethical thought in its close relation to his particular vision of the political. I will focus on Foucault’s theoretical investigation of ancient Greek philosophical ways of life and the ancient “culture of the self,” and show how he used these cases to build a general theory of ethics that can be helpfully employed across time and place. Of particular interest is Foucault’s focus on the ‘ascetic’ or practicing dimension of ethical life. I conclude with some reflections on the impact of these ideas for our understanding of industrial discipline and the ‘entrepreneurship of the self’ in contemporary Europe and North America.