[MGSA-L] MGSA STATEMENT ON ANTI-RACISM AND SOLIDARITY WITH BLACK LIVES MATTER

MGSA exec. director mgsa.org at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 12:01:49 PDT 2020

*MGSA STATEMENT ON ANTI-RACISM AND SOLIDARITY WITH BLACK LIVES MATTER*

The Modern Greek Studies Association (MGSA) mourns the death of George
Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Tamir Rice and countless others who have lost their
lives due to police violence.  We condemn racialized terror and the
oppression of Black people and stand in solidarity with Black Lives Matter
and other social movements that are working to address the pernicious
effects of systemic racism on society.  We urge our scholarly community to
listen to and learn from those who experience racism.  Academic
organizations such as ours that bring together scholars and practitioners
from a range of disciplines and backgrounds must contribute to the
cultivation of the critical dialogues that are essential to addressing
these entrenched injustices and the development of lasting and equitable
solutions.  To that end, we encourage Modern Greek Programs to incorporate
anti-racist pedagogies and activities that contribute to raising
consciousness about the experiences of those whose lives are negatively
impacted by racism.

—MGSA Executive Board, 2 July, 2020

https://www.mgsa.org/

--