[MGSA-L] New book announcement: Kathryn A. Kozaitis, Indebted: Despair and Resilience in Greece’s Second City, Oxford University Press, 2020.

MGSA exec. director mgsa.org at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 09:59:32 PDT 2020

From: Louis A. Ruprecht, Jr.

lruprecht at gsu.edu

Friends of Modern Greek Studies:

I am delighted to announce the first book-length ethnography of the
economic and austerity crisis in Thessaloniki:

Kathryn A. Kozaitis, *Indebted: Despair and Resilience in Greece’s Second
City*, Oxford University Press, 2020.

This engagingly written and deeply ethnographic work examines the economic
and political factors that led to the Greek debt crisis, including
financial pressures from international lenders, unregulated spending by the
Greek government, predatory bank loans, and rising unemployment.

*Indebted* looks closely at the cultural dimensions of the crisis: how
middle class urbanites experienced the shock of a global fiscal collapse,
managed societal instability, and worked to sustain their families in the
face of structural pressures, local instabilities, and moral imperatives.
Author Kathryn A. Kozaitis based her analysis on ethnographic research in
Thessaloniki, the second largest city and co-capital of Greece, during the
summer of 2009, 2011-2012, and ethnographic updates in 2013-2019. She
places particular emphasis on the lived experience of Thessalonikians in
what emerged as a culture of crisis--collective, patterned behaviors,
thoughts, and emotions characteristic of a people in sociocultural
transformation--in an uncertain present marked by past realities and future
imaginaries. The book synthesizes hundreds of crisis narratives, depicting
Thessalonikians' responses to their country's political disaster and
downward mobility through the themes of loss and displacement; blame and
accountability; reconfigurations of kinship roles and responsibilities;
emotional and intellectual awakenings; and emergent indicators of survival,
continuity, and renewal through alternative praxis.

https://global.oup.com/academic/product/indebted-9780190090142?cc=us&lang=en&
<https://nam03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fglobal.oup.com%2Facademic%2Fproduct%2Findebted-9780190090142%3Fcc%3Dus%26lang%3Den%26&data=02%7C01%7Clruprecht%40gsu.edu%7Cecf1b58c59bc47f343df08d7dc951734%7C515ad73d8d5e4169895c9789dc742a70%7C0%7C0%7C637220405214763448&sdata=KIWahTUDGMNjF6mDWve4tyb%2Bc0L%2BWPzIoALBRAmKr4I%3D&reserved=0>

Louis A. Ruprecht Jr.

William M. Suttles Chair of Religious Studies

Department of Anthropology

Director, GSU Center for Hellenic Studies

I take this evanescence and lubricity of all objects, which lets them slip
through our fingers when we clutch hardest, to be the most unhandsome part
of our condition.

Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Experience" (1844)

--
Vangelis Calotychos
MGSA Executive Director