[MGSA-L] Center for Hellenic Studies at the University of Chicago/Launching Conference Nov. 8-9, 2019

Stefanos Katsikas skatsikas at uchicago.edu
Tue Oct 22 07:23:41 PDT 2019

Dear friends of Hellenic Studies,

On July 1 2019, after years of intense efforts, the University of Chicago has established a Center for Hellenic Studies.  The Center is a forum for conversation and research on the various aspect of Hellenism—language, culture, history, art, thought—and aims at making the University of Chicago a preeminent place for Hellenic Studies nationally and internationally. The Center aspires to build bridges with the community of Hellenes in the Chicagoland area, and pay special attention to the variety of Greek experiences and identities in diaspora.

The Center for Hellenic Studies is organizing a two-day launching conference, Friday and Saturday November 8 and 9 (2019), entitled Polyhedric Greece. The conference will be held at Breasted Hall, Oriental Institute, University of Chicago, 1155 East 58th Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60637 (https://oi.uchicago.edu/). The event will consist in panels and independent talks, with selected speakers of international stature, and is co-sponsored by our departments of Classics, History, Linguistics, Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations, the Franke and Stevanovich institutes and our Provost’s Office. The event is open to the public. The Center’s Director Anastasia Giannakidou and the Associate Director Stefanos Katsikas look forward to welcoming students of Hellenism, members of the Hellenic community and friends to this exciting event. The second day, Saturday Nov. 9, is devoted to Greek language, and we welcome in particular teachers of Greek at all educational levels for a morning of learning.

For more information on our newly-established Center for Hellenic Studies as well as our inaugural two-day conference Polyhedric Greece check our website (https://voices.uchicago.edu/chschicago) I am also including the poster of our conference.

All very best,
Stefanos Katsikas

Stefanos Katsikas, Ph.D.
Associate Director &
Instructional Assistant Professor
Center for Hellenic Studies
University of Chicago
1153 East 58th Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60637

[cid:a590356b-6964-4d96-82ea-c777a309850d]