[MGSA-L] Athens in Pieces: The Art of Memory

June Samaras june.samaras at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 12:21:38 PST 2019

Athens in Pieces: The Art of Memory

The ancient city is also a living one. And it still has plenty to tell us,
if we care to listen.

By Simon Critchley   Jan. 30, 2019

ATHENS IN PIECES
This is the first in a series of dispatches by the author for The Stone,
tracing the past of Athens. Each post will focus on a specific object or
site from Greek antiquity for insight into contemporary life and politics.

<< Every city, every “polis,” is a necropolis, a city of the dead; but it
just so happens that Athens is a particularly ancient graveyard with
multiple, interconnected and entangled layers of life that has passed away.
It is also a unique place because of the way in which its ghosts continue
to haunt our present, often in unexpected and unimagined ways. And
obviously, for those of us who have spent their time trying to teach
philosophy, Athens is a magical city, for this is where what we still
recognize as philosophia really began.>>

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/30/opinion/athens-memory.html

June Samaras
2020 Old Station Rd
Streetsville,Ontario
Canada L5M 2V1
Tel : 905-542-1877
E-mail : june.samaras at gmail.com

Virus-free.
www.avg.com
<#m_6931409814619724041_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>