[MGSA-L] New Year's Wishes and Announcements from the MGSA: Welcoming Our New Editorial Team and Our New Executive Director

Hess, Frank flhess at indiana.edu
Wed Jan 2 11:19:52 PST 2019

Dear colleagues,

Please accept my wishes for a happy and prosperous new year!  Χρόνια πολλά και καλή χρονιά!  Many thanks for your continued support of the field of Modern Greek Studies and the Modern Greek Studies Association.  Organizations are the sum of their members, and it is you who make our organization, its journal, and its symposium the successes that they are!

The new year ushers in a period of transition for the Modern Greek Studies Association.  Both the editorship of the Journal of Modern Greek Studies and the Executive Director of our association are changing hands (see below).  Deadlines for the 2019 Symposium in Sacramento are also rapidly approaching.  The deadline for individual abstracts is January 15, and the deadline for panels and for special sessions is January 31.  Katerina Lagos, the Chair of the Local Arrangements Committee has secured a wonderful downtown venue in sunny and warm Sacramento and is planning a rich program.   It should be an excellent conference!

January is also transition time at the Journal of Modern Greek Studies.  Please join me in welcoming the new editorial team of our journal.  The new co-editors of the journal are Johanna Hanick of Brown University, Editor for the Humanities, and Antonis Ellinas of the University of Cyprus, Editor for the Social and Behavioral Sciences.  They will be assisted by Nektaria Klapaki of the University of Washington, Associate Editor for the Humanities, and Olga Demetriou of Durham University, Associate Editor for the Social and Behavioral Science.  Katerina Lagos and Kostis Kourelis will be continuing as the Book Review Editors for the Humanities and the Social and Behavioral Sciences respectively.  To our incoming editorial team, I would like to express how deeply we appreciate your willingness to assume the responsibilities of these positions and how much we look forward to working with you to assure the journal’s continued excellence.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank the outgoing editorial team for their years of dedication and service.  We truly owe a debt of gratitude to Artemis Leontis and Tom Gallant, our two outgoing co-editors.  Artemis oversaw the Humanities from 2014 and Tom the Social and Behavior Sciences from 2016.  Likewise, we are indebted to their respective Associate Editors, Karen Emmerich and Elizabeth Davis, who have been in their posts since 2012.  The outgoing editorial team ran the journal with a high degree of professionalism and maintained the highest intellectual standards.  Their contribution to our field in this capacity has been immense.  A special thanks is due to Artemis for her tireless work over the past few months to secure a smooth and effective transition between the incoming and outgoing editorial teams.

It is my pleasure, also, to officially welcome Vangelis Calotychos as the new Executive Director of the Modern Greek Studies Association.  Vangelis brings a wealth of experience, expertise, insight, and industriousness to his new position.  Along with the rest of the Executive Board, I am very excited to have the opportunity to work with him for the remainder of our term and am pleased that his steady hand will be at the helm of our ship moving forward.

Last, I would like to extend my most sincere thanks to our outgoing Executive Director, Gonda Van Steen, who is stepping down from this position because of her new responsibilities as the Koraes Chair of Modern Greek and Byzantine History at King’s College.  Over the past 20 years Gonda has left an indelible mark on the Modern Greek Studies Association holding such posts as Co-Chair of the Program Committee for the Chicago Symposium (with Neovi Karakatsanis), President of the MGSA (2011-2014), and most recently Executive Director (2014-2019).  In each of these posts, Gonda has helped to establish governing principles, to streamline and rationalize bureaucracy, and to increase professionalism.  I sincerely hope that she is given the opportunity, from her new perch, to similarly contribute to the field of Modern Greek Studies in Great Britain and in Europe more generally.

Sincerely,

Frank

Franklin L. Hess

President, Modern Greek Studies Association

Coordinator, Modern Greek Program

Senior Lecturer, Institute for European Studies

Hamilton Lugar School of Global and International Studies

Indiana University Bloomington

?