[MGSA-L] CfP: Postgraduate Colloquium: CELEBRATIONS IN THE EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN: PRIVATE AND PUBLIC, 1 June 2019, U of Birmingham

Roland Moore rolandmo at pacbell.net
Mon Feb 4 16:02:47 PST 2019

https://gemuob.wordpress.com/annual-colloquium-3/

**CALL FOR PAPERS**

CELEBRATIONS IN THE EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN: PRIVATE AND PUBLIC

1st June 2019, University of Birmingham.

We are pleased to announce the Call for Papers in celebration of the 20th Postgraduate Colloquium of the Centre for Byzantine, Ottoman and Modern Greek Studies at the University of Birmingham, UK.

>From antiquity to the present peoples in the eastern Mediterranean have taken part in celebrations and ceremonies. These vary from large-scale public events to private and personal rituals. As we continue to take part in social rituals derived from these traditions and develop new ways to manifest them it is important to examine these celebrations in detail.

The colloquium aims to approach the subject from a variety of perspectives on how people experience celebrations across the eastern Mediterranean from late antiquity to the modern day, from textual sources to visual culture and archaeology.

Suggested topics include, but are not limited to:

   - Anniversaries, holidays, weddings
   - Feast days and holidays
   - Secular and religious ceremonies
   - Processions
   - Gift giving
   - Festivals
   - Celebrations in text and art
   - Spaces and Objects

Papers of approximately 20 minutes and posters (A3 format) related to any of the fields covered by Byzantine, Ottoman and Modern Greek Studies are welcome. Please submit abstracts of no more than 250 words no later than Sunday 7thApril 2019 at  2019CBOMGSColloquium at gmail.com.

A selection of papers will be published in the proceedings on the online journal Diogenes (https://gemuob.wordpress.com/diogenes/)

Come and celebrate with us!

The Organising Committee

Alessandro Carabia (University of Birmingham)

Rachael Helen Banes (University of Birmingham)