[MGSA-L] Event on the "Environmental Practice of Everyday Life"

Roilos, Panagiotis roilos at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Mar 21 13:38:13 PDT 2018

Dear all,

I would like to invite you to the following event.

Sincerely,

Panagiotis Roilos

------------
Weatherhead Center for International Affairs, Cultural Politics Seminar

Care Tactics: Environmental Practice of Everyday Life

Verena Conley,  Long Term Visiting Professor of Comparative Literature and Romance Languages and Literature, Department of Comparative Literature, Harvard University

Witnessing a return to longstanding theories of sensation and perception, environmental criticism is reconsidering (or retrofitting) phenomenology for an inventive ethics and aesthetics of quotidian life. Proposing that on the basis of sentience and perception we can fashion an art of the everyday of political mettle, it displaces work of time past into the ecological crises of our moment. Turning historical objects into critical counterparts, Gilles Deleuze, Isabelle Stengers and others concerned about the “state of the world” rethink early 20th century philosophers such as A. N. Whitehead to find an ecology of practices. The aim of this paper is less to excavate or exonerate than to redeploy or redesign ways of thinking into an ethics of care.

Wednesday, March 28, 2018, 6pm

CGIS Knafel Building, 1737 Cambridge Street, Bowie-Vernon Room (K262)<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__maps.google.com-3Fq-3DCambridge-252c-2BMA-2B02138&d=DwMFAw&c=WO-RGvefibhHBZq3fL85hQ&r=kQhyxcCOJ5pbHXm3U222khZ5k-nobB6p8LSg5N9ZC0o&m=b8FdMvy7cC7xb4Ed9KFS2LPDj4WUNO1uuT6Nk9J7a7o&s=aQATOwTilz0YYfDJHri7SUXmbtRC5_v8WpCap8_PKHk&e=>

--

Panagiotis Roilos
George Seferis Professor of Modern Greek Studies and Professor of Comparative Literature

https://chronos.fairead.net/roilos-antioikonomia-dianoisis