[MGSA-L] Fw: New course at Harvard's Extension School, fall 2018

Roilos, Panagiotis roilos at fas.harvard.edu
Fri Jun 15 11:20:52 PDT 2018

Harvard Extension School, Fall, HUMA E-108, Wed., 6 pm-8 pm (https://www.extension.harvard.edu/course-catalog/courses/dreams-from-antiquity-to-modernity/15677)

Panagiotis Roilos, George Seferis Professor of Modern Greek Studies and Professor of Comparative Literature, Harvard University

Dreams: From Antiquity to Modernity

Dreaming is one of the most intriguing distinctive qualities of the human mind and soul. Against the dual background of ancient and medieval commentaries, on the one hand, and modern psychoanalytic and ethnographic approaches as well as cognitive studies, on the other, diverse literary texts and theories of dream interpretation are explored. This course addresses the following questions: How do different cultures dream and approach this fascinating activity of the human psyche? Why do we tell dreams? How are dreams related to linguistic discourse, in general, and to literature, in particular? How do oral narratives and literary texts interact? How do different cultures produce different typologies of dreams? How do we integrate texts from the Hellenistic and Greco-Roman worlds with modern ones? How do we juxtapose theoretical treatises with literary texts? Where does anthropology play a part? How are dream themes and images formed, transmitted, and interpenetrated across time and genres? Theoretical readings to include Aristotle, Aelius Aristides, Artemidorus, Synesius of Cyrene, Freud, Jung, Levi-Strauss, Foucault, and Lyotard. We discuss movies by Bergman, Fellini, Kurosawa, Kubrick, Scorcese, and Tarkovsky.

Panagiotis Roilos
George Seferis Professor of Modern Greek Studies  and Professor of Comparative Literature
Faculty Associate, The Weatherhead Center for International Affairs
Faculty Associate, Minda de Gunzburg Center for European Studies
Harvard University
Member of the Governing Board, European Cultural Center of Delphi