[MGSA-L] Greek American music publishers

June Samaras june.samaras at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 21:47:39 PDT 2018

Apostoli

I have the book by Butterworth a well as the one by Gail Holst

The scores I have are mostly of Greek folks songs and popular music.

For example one item was published in New York in 1945 by the
Apollo Music Company, On the back page is a long list of the
other Greek scores that they had published ( catalogue numbers
524- 761) Many are for dance music - Tangos, Waltzes Foxtrots etc'

I like the Discogs site,but the entries reflect recorded performances.

What I am looking for is information about the music publishers and
composers.
Most of them seem to be Greek-American, but only a few of their names
show up in the Library of Congress or other archives.

Someone called George Buyukas seems to have been associated
with the Apollo Music Co. Their publication # 702 published in 1943
is an arrangement of the  "Ethnikos Hymnos" but added to the usual words
of Solomos there is an English verse by Mr Buyukas ...
A "Liberty Song"or "Hymn to the United Nations

[However I rather doubt that this verse ever really caught on in Athens at
that time!]

Unfortunately it seems that there is very little known about the Apollo
Music Company

The MGSA archives have a link to an article by Steve  Frangos

"The Lost Apollo Music Company." *The National Herald*, March 8-9, 2003
[?], pp. 1, 5.
<http://www.mgsa.org/Resources/SteveFrangosMusic/The_Lost_Apollo_Music_Company.pdf>

http://www.mgsa.org/Resources/Frangos.html#Music

--