[MGSA-L] Greeks in Toronto - HHF: Please Join Us on Thursday, Aug 2nd - 100th Anniversary Commemoration - City Hall - 12pm to 2pm

June Samaras june.samaras at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 06:16:32 PDT 2018

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: GREEK COMMUNITY OF TORONTO <events at greekcommunity.org>
Date: Fri, Jul 27, 2018, 13:28

Dear friends,

*'100 Year Anniversary Commemoration of the Greek Canadian Riots *
*at City Hall'*

On behalf of the *Hellenic Heritage Foundation,* we invite you to attend
the 100 Year Anniversary Commemoration of the Greek Canadian Riots at City
Hall on *Thursday August 2nd, 2018 at noon.  *

This event is part of a year-long campaign launched by the Hellenic
Heritage Foundation in collaboration with York University to educate the
public about this long-forgotten chapter in our city's history. It is also
an opportunity to bring this story to all Torontonians so that we can
recognize the struggles and successes of Greek-Canadians in Toronto over
the last 100 years.

The initiatives organized throughout the year by the Foundation and leading
up to this event were as follows:

   -          TDSB curriculum packages created in connection to Greek
   History Month in March
   -          A public lecture by Prof Thomas Gallant on 1918 Anti-Greek
   Riots on May 3rd
   -          A public Film Screening of Violent August with commentary
   from the filmmaker John Burry and historian Michalis Mouratidis on May 27th
   -          Guided Historic Walking Tours organized along the route the
   riots took place were planned and organized for:

-       Sunday, June 17, 2018 at 10:30 a.m.

-       Sunday, July 8, 2018 at 10:30 a.m.

-       Sunday, July 22, 2018 at 10:30 a.m.

-       Sunday, August 5th, 2018 at 10:30 a.m.

Please consider joining us next Thursday.  Bring your friends and family.
The event will begin at 12:00 p.m and go until about 1:30 p.m.

We have also taken the time to curate a Photo Exhibit which will be on
display in the Rotunda at City Hall from July 30th to August 5th titled:
Greeks in Toronto - The Immigrant Experience, which guests can view
following the official commemoration event.

*REGISTER *in advance to let us know you're attending by contacting us at
events at hhf.ca .

Also, please feel free to forward this invitation to your families, and
network of friends and colleagues so we can ensure our community has strong
reputation at City Hall to properly acknowledge this historic event.

Thank you for your anticipated attendance next Thursday, Aug 2nd at noon.

*Hellenic Heritage Foundation*
44 Upjohn Road, Toronto, ON M3B 2W1
T 416.447.7107 | F 416.447.7108 | www.hhf.ca
PRESERVING OUR PAST, SUPPORTING OUR FUTURE.

Greek Community of Toronto, 30 Thorncliffe Park Drive, Toronto, Ontario M4H
1H8 Canada
SafeUnsubscribe™ june.samaras at gmail.com
<https://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=un&m=001CobJT8Ja0vUhqnJZyzvlsw%3D%3D&ch=848eb070-a82c-11e6-abf9-d4ae5292c3f3&ca=679b809c-e50d-4b8c-b785-d1bb906ab4c1>
Forward this email