[MGSA-L] THE NATIONAL BOOK AWARD FOR TRANSLATED LITERATURE

June Samaras june.samaras at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 15:39:56 PST 2018

NATIONAL BOOK FOUNDATION ANNOUNCES THE NATIONAL BOOK AWARD FOR TRANSLATED
LITERATURE

http://www.nationalbook.org/nba2018-translated-literature-award-announced.html#.Wnjqha5Ktkg

The National Book Foundation today announced it will present the National
Book Award for Translated Literature, beginning this year at the 69th
National Book Awards in November. This prize, which represents a fifth
National Book Award category, will honor a work of fiction or nonfiction
that has been translated into English and published in the U.S.

Because of its strategic significance, the addition of a new award category
required a unanimous vote by the National Book Foundation’s Board of
Directors. “We could not be more pleased to take this step,” said David
Steinberger, Chairman of the Board of Directors of the National Book
Foundation. “We now have the opportunity to recognize exceptional books
that are written anywhere in the world, and to encourage new voices and
perspectives to become part of our national discourse.”

The National Book Award for Translated Literature will honor both author
and translator, and aims to broaden readership for global voices and spark
dialogue around international stories.

The inaugural National Book Award for Translated Literature will be
presented at the 69th National Book Awards Ceremony and Benefit Dinner, and
will join the other four categories (Fiction, Nonfiction, Poetry, Young
People’s Literature) as a permanent prize.

“As the Foundation further expands its purview and work, it’s important
that we continue to promote reading habits that reach widely across genre,
subject, and geography,” said Lisa Lucas, Executive Director of the
National Book Foundation. “We are a nation of immigrants, and we should
never stop seeking connection and insight from the myriad cultures that
consistently influence and inspire us. We want American readers to deeply
value an inclusive, big-picture point of view, and the National Book Award
for Translated Literature is part of a commitment to that principle. The
addition of this award lends crucial visibility to works that have the
power to touch us as American readers in search of broadened perspective.”

The last time a prize category was added to the National Book Awards was
1996, when the first National Book Award for Young People’s Literature was
won by Victor Martinez for his novel Parrot in the Oven: Mi Vida.

*Submissions for the National Book Award for Translated Literature will
open at the same time as submissions for all other categories, March 7.
Consistent with the guidelines for all entries, both writer and translator
must be living at the beginning of the awards cycle to be eligible, though
neither party is required to be a U.S. citizen. Work previously published
in the United States is ineligible, however new translations of work by
living writers are eligible. The original text need not have been published
in the year of the award submission.*

The National Book Awards Longlists will be announced the week of September
10, and Finalists on October 10. Winners will be announced at the
invitation-only National Book Awards Ceremony and Benefit Dinner on
November 14 in New York City. Each Finalist receives a prize of $1,000, a
medal, and a judges’ citation.  Each Winner receives $10,000 and a bronze
sculpture. These prizes will be the same for the National Book Award for
Translated Literature, with the monetary prize split evenly between the
author and translator.

The establishment of the new award aligns with the National Book
Foundation’s recently adopted strategic plan and new mission statement to
celebrate the best literature in America, expand its audience, and ensure
that books have a prominent place in American culture. Guidelines for
submission for the National Book Award for Translated Literature will be
available in full at the National Book Foundation website as of March 7.

June Samaras
2020 Old Station Rd
Streetsville,Ontario
Canada L5M 2V1