[MGSA-L] translating Petros Markaris?

Dia Philippides philippd at bc.edu
Sat Dec 22 13:26:06 PST 2018

On trs. into English of Markaris' novels, Karen van Dyck is right in
suggesting that the Greek publisher could provide the best answer.
Likewise, David Connolly, as Markaris' major translator into English, may
well have info to offer.

in the meanwhile, I'm taking the opportunity to share (see below) the list
of full-length English translations of Markaris' novels from our collection
of the "CENSUS of Modern Greek Literature" (publication forthcoming! http://
<http://www.bc.edu/schools/cas/classics/Faculty/dia_philippides.html>
censusofmoderngreekliterature.org). These are the books that we have seen
to date (in English tr.). None of the translated book-length titles appear
to be from the CrisisTrilogy. From *Ληξιπρόθεσμα δάνεια
<https://el.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=%CE%9B%CE%B7%CE%BE%CE%B9%CF%80%CF%81%CF%8C%CE%B8%CE%B5%CF%83%CE%BC%CE%B1_%CE%B4%CE%AC%CE%BD%CE%B5%CE%B9%CE%B1&action=edit&redlink=1>,**
the
1st book of the Crisis Trilogy / *Τριλογία της Κρίσεως*, we find online the
(partial) tr. by Karen Emmerich cited below. *

We hope this info is helpful and would be glad to receive news/corrections
if our entries are incomplete or incorrect.

4.3006   Petros Markaris. *Basic Shareholder.* Translated from the Greek by
David Connolly. London, UK: Arcadia Books, 2009. 430 p. <Novel>
ISBN 190641310X; 9781906413101
    *Βασικός μέτοχος* (Αθήνα: Γαβριηλίδης, 2006)

4.3007   Petros Markaris. *Che Committed Suicide*. Translated from the
Greek by David Connolly. London: EuroCrime/Arcadia Books, 2009. 356 p.
<Novel>
ISBN 1906413347 pbk; 9781906413347 pbk
EuroCrime/Arcadia Books, 2011. ebk (ISBN 1908129263; 9781908129260).
    *Ο Τσε αυτοκτόνησε* (Αθήνα: Γαβριηλίδης, 2003)

4.3008   Petros Markaris.* Deadline in Athens: An Inspector Haritos
Mystery.* Translated by David Connolly. New York: Grove Press, 2004. 295 p.
<Novel>
ISBN 0802117783; 9780802117786
Also: New York: Grove Press, 2005 (ISBN 0802142079; 9780802142078); New
York: Grove Press, 2007. eBook (ISBN 0802199178; 9780802199171).
    *Νυχτερινό δελτίο* (Αθήνα: Εκδ. Γαβριηλίδης, 1995)

4.3009   Petros Markaris. *The Late-Night News*. [An Inspector Haritos
Mystery]. Translated from the Greek by David Connolly. London: The Harvill
Press, 2004. 288 p. <Novel>
ISBN 1843431696; 9781843431695
Also: New York: Random House, 2005 (ISBN 0099464623 pbk); London: Vintage,
2005. 295 p. (ISBN 0099464624 pbk; 9780099464624 pbk).
    *Νυχτερινό δελτίο* (Αθήνα: Εκδ. Γαβριηλίδης, 1995)

4.3010   Petros Markaris. *Zone Defence* [An Inspector Haritos Mystery].
Translated from the Greek by David Connolly. London: Harvill Secker, 2006.
336 p. <Novel>.
ISBN 1843431688 pbk; 9781843431688 pbk
Also: London: Vintage, 2007 (ISBN 0099466740 pbk; 9780099466741 pbk).
   * Άμυνα ζώνης* (Αθήνα: Εκδ. Γαβριηλίδης, 1998)

(b)
4.3011   Petros Markaris. “From *Overdue Loans*”. Translated by Karen
Emmerich. <Novel>
https://www.wordswithoutborders.org/article/from-overdue-loans
>From Petros Markaris, *Lixiprothesma dania*. © 2011 [*Ληξιπρόθεσμα δάνεια*
is the 1st book of the Crisis Trilogy / Τριλογία της Κρίσεως]

Note: Our collection of refs. also includes trs. of a short story, "Green
Card", by Markaris, and several English-language studies referring to him.

Καλά Χριστούγεννα!

Dia Philippides
Professor Emerita
Dept. of Classical Studies