[MGSA-L] translating Petros Markaris?

Dimitris Asimakoulas asimakdimitris at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Dec 21 14:47:01 PST 2018

 Sadly, there is very little in English, which is interesting as he has been formerly recognised as one of the 10 best crime fiction authors in Europe (see Guardian article below). I assume the same can be said about other crime fiction authors whose work is not translated into English. Reviews often depend on multilingual reviewers...
In 2015 I submitted a project bid with a translation brief for Markares' work (the crisis trilogy more specifically) and offered a translation pitch to well over 20 publishers in the UK with a precedent in publishing translated works in that area (I had personally paid a professional literary translator to create a sample translation to that end); the responses were very lukewarm and turned to negatives after a couple of months.
 It is the so-called 3% problem: only 3% of local book production is translation in the USA and in the UK it is probably worse, according to PEN and the Free Word Centre (inabsolute numbers, translation has been on the increase, but it is outstrippedby the growth in publishing figures overall including originals, so it is 2.5% of book production in the UK (fiction, poetry, drama as little as 4.5% of that).
https://www.theguardian.com/culture/gallery/2011/mar/13/crime-henning-mankell

Dr Dimitris Asimakoulas

Centre for Translation StudiesSchool of Literature and LanguagesUniversity Library and Learning CentreUniversity of Surrey GuildfordGU2 7XH

D.Asimakoulas at surrey.ac.uk

Tel.: + 44 (0)1483 689913

https://surrey.academia.edu/DAsimakoulas
https://www.linkedin.com/in/dimitris-asimakoulas-8b91427b/