[MGSA-L] 2017 MGSA Edmund Keeley Book Prize

Gerasimus Katsan Gerasimus.Katsan at qc.cuny.edu
Fri Sep 15 12:37:07 PDT 2017

On behalf of the MGSA Edmund Keeley Book Prize Committee (Kostis Kornetis, George Fragopoulos, and myself) it is my pleasure to announce that the winner of the 2017 prize is Professor Devin E. Naar for his monograph Jewish Salonica: Between the Ottoman Empire and Modern Greece, published by Stanford University Press, 2016.

The Committee received an uncommonly large number of submissions this year, and was impressed by the exceptional quality of all of them. This made the decision an extremely difficult one, for each submission is a significant contribution to the field of Modern Greek Studies, and it is gratifying to see so many fine scholars enriching the field with their important work.  Naar's book is distinguished for its original approach to the issue of Salonica's Jewish community, the depth of its analysis and its rich examination of archival sources, as well as for its elegant prose.

We look forward to honoring Professor Naar's work when we officially confer the prize at the MGSA Symposium at Stockton University on November 2.

Sincerely,
Gerasimus
(Committee Chair)
Gerasimus Katsan
Associate Professor, Modern Greek
Queens College
Dept. of European Languages and Literatures
Queens Hall 200
65-30 Kissena Blvd.
Flushing, New York 11367