[MGSA-L] Fw: Translations of the Generation of '30

Van Steen, Gonda gonda at ufl.edu
Wed May 31 14:40:00 PDT 2017

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Thomas West <t.west1993 at hotmail.com<mailto:t.west1993 at hotmail.com>>
Date: Wed, May 31, 2017 at 6:27 AM
Subject: Translations of the Generation of '30
To: "mgsa.org at gmail.com<mailto:mgsa.org at gmail.com>" <mgsa.org at gmail.com<mailto:mgsa.org at gmail.com>>

Dear list members,

My name is Thomas West and I am a PhD hopeful based in England. Over the course of my literary studies I have developed a fascination with modernism but I have noticed that it seems that much scholarship is based in the American, Anglo, and French variations of the period (With, of course, the futurists being the outliers) and, as such, I wish to widen my own scope of the period by looking at the Greek Generation of '30 (as well as the Old and New Athenian Schools).

However, I am at something of a disadvantage for even though I have a strong interest in Greece I cannot write or read it and can only speak a smattering of it (something which I aim to remedy as soon as I can). I was wondering, then, if there were any translations into English of the prose works of the Generation of '30. I already have a copy of Elizabeth Constantinides' Tales From a Greek Island though Papadiamantis is a little too early for my interests (Though his writings are nothing short of great - a Greek Gabriel Garcia Marquez, I think).

I thank you for your time,

Yours,

Thomas West